Thursday, October 31, 2013

a reconstruction job

It happens at least once a month.  Actually, it happens every time we walk through the doors of the local Goodwill.  Someone finds a dress/shirt/skirt that they like, but there's this thing about it that they want changed.  So, what do they do? 

"Hey, can you do/fix this?"

Of course I can!

So, about a month ago, Sarah found this adorable dress...

 
And when the top half of the dress looks like this, you can't not buy it!  I mean, it's hot pink with ruffles!!!
 
However, the bottom half was about six inches too short and skin tight. 
 

 It also had to be taken in about four inches at the waist.  So, I tore into it.  Literally.

 

Making the pattern for the new skirt was easy, since I used the same method I use for all of my A-line skirts.  It was a little different since this one had a high waist, but I added some pleats in the back to give it a nice shape and it worked out quite nicely.
 



 
 
Ta-da!
 
Sadly, I haven't had a chance to get a picture of Sarah wearing it, but you can still see how well it turned out from this picture. 
 
I learned two things from this project:
 
1) Serge every seam as soon as you finish it, because if you don't, you will forget about it, sew another seam across it, and it will be too late.
 
2) I don't want to have to do another invisible zipper in a side seam anytime in the near future...
 
It was nice to get my hands on a "clothing project" again.  It's been a while since I've done anything other than a quilt or some small project.  I should do this more often! :)


2 comments:

  1. Wow, those ruffles look like a great place to store lady bugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, this comment could only be from one of two people... LOL

    ReplyDelete