Pages

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Apron Fashion Week {1}

It's no secret.  I absolutely love aprons.  If I am at home, I am usually wearing one.

Of course, it has to be a certain kind of apron.  I don't like the ones we wear when working out at the fairs.  They're just so thick and...well...man-ish.  I've been trying to come up with a pattern that is a bit more suitable for us ladies and that is also acceptable to the boss.  ;)  I have three months before we start kicking things back into gear, so I'm in no hurry.

Anyway, back to my love of aprons.  Did I mention that I love them?  There's just something about tying on a nice apron that makes you stand a little straighter and feel good even when going about the most mundane chores imaginable.  Personally, I feel at home and comfortable in an apron.

Cheri, a fellow blogger, suggested that we pay tribute to this love of aprons by participating in an Apron Fashion Week.  I wholeheartedly agreed.  You are more than welcome to participate as well!  It's really simple.  Everyday this week I will be posting pictures of one of my aprons.  I may even post pictures of dream aprons that have yet to be made!   Hopefully ya'll will enjoy looking at them as much as I enjoy wearing them!

******

I thought that the perfect apron to begin this week with would be my first real apron.  By real, I mean that it wasn't made out of an old pillow case and confined to the dress-up drawer. 

When I was about eight years old, I became infatuated with Mary Poppins.  What little girl isn't?  I mean, she could sing, she could fly, she could slide down banisters without wiping out (something I found extremely unfair), she could clean a room by snapping her fingers (also unfair), and she could ride carousel horses without the carousel.  Who wouldn't want to be Mary Poppins?

So, I decided to become as much like Ms. Practically Perfect as I could.  After watching the movie ten zillion times, I found that she had something that I needed.  The apron.

After putting on the apron and she seemed to become a new person.  A bit more tangible and human.  That coupled with the fact that it had huge ruffled shoulder straps that I absolutely adored made me decide that I needed one.  I talked about it constantly, always making sure to point out that mine absolutely must have the big ruffles or there would simply be no point in wearing it.

A few weeks later, Grammy surprised me by making me my own apron, complete with ruffles on the shoulder straps.  I was in little girl heaven!  I remember wearing it everywhere: to the store, out to feed the chickens, gathering up the eggs in the skirt, helping Mama in the kitchen.  One day, while helping in the kitchen, I managed to drop a huge spoonful of chili into one of the pockets.  I was devastated.  I didn't realize that my beloved apron was washable.   I guess I never had it off long enough to find out! My parents were forced to draw the line when I begged to wear it to church.  They just didn't understand my eight-year-old sense of fashion.

 

I haven't been able to wear it for years, but I managed to squeeze Genevieve into it for a picture.  My nieces still get some use out of it though.  They love to play in it.


I went through all of our old photo albums and this was the only picture that I managed to find of me actually wearing it.



Weren't we cute?  This was taken around Christmas of '99, I think.  Oh, the carefree days!  Isn't Sarah adorable? ;)

So, there you have it.  My very first apron.  

Do you remember your first apron?

What did it look like?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment