Pages

Sunday, May 6, 2012

babysitting, two dresses, a photo shoot, and some tea

This has been a crazy week!  (That is pronounced kuh-RAY-zee).  Crazy, but fun, since I've been doing all of the things that I enjoy.  That is, everything except for blogging.  I just haven't had the time to sit down and write!  But now, I am giving my sewing machine and camera a much deserved break so allow me to plunge right in and start at the beginning.

The biggest priority this week was the dress for my Grandmother that I mentioned in an earlier post.  It had to be finished by Friday night, and guess when I put on the finishing touches?  You guessed it!  Friday night.  :D


I love how it turned out!  She picked out the fabric, gave me a store bought outfit to use as a pattern and let me go!  You can't see it very well, but the dress and cuffs have red, blue, and brown-ish stars on them.  Grammy is very patriotic! I also managed to find some really cute star buttons to match. 

Isn't she lovely?  :)

While I was in the middle of working on this dress, we drove down to Alabama to see my sister, Kim.  I don't know if I've mentioned this yet, but she's expecting!  I'm super excited!  I will be getting another nephew, Robert Luke, in August.  I'm considering it a late birthday present.  :D

Anyway, Sarah and I got to watch the girls while Mama took Kim to have some tests run.  We really had a good time.  I brought my sewing along and I had a pretty interesting time trying to cut out Grammy's blouse and watch a movie at the same time.  I ended up just laughing on cue so they would think that I was paying attention, but don't tell them I said so!

I got to have a really good laugh when Haley picked up one of the unattached sleeves, cocked her head to one side and said, "Now how in the world does this work?"

Sewing.  It's a mysterious art.

My second big project this week was rather last minute.  Sarah's friend, Hannah, just had her sixteenth birthday and we were planning on having a formal photo shoot of the two of them to celebrate.  The dress that she found for the occasion was *ahem* backless, except, of course, for a few ribbons running from one side to the other.  She had already bought the necessary fabric, so I filled in the "hole" and made a train to hang down the back and hide the evidence.  I also made a little halter strap to go around her neck.



It turned out really good considering that it was last minute!

We really had a lot of fun taking pictures.  Hannah's sister, Leah, and I were the photographers accompanied by Gilbert and Knightley. 

(Yes, we named our cameras.  Hers is after Gilbert Blythe in Anne of Green Gables and mine is after Mr. Knightley in Emma. Don't ask us why, that's just the way it is...lol :)




Of course, for every picture there were several outtakes, like this one. 
I never could figure out what was so funny...






Leah and Gilbert. ;)

Love these girls!

Now we come to yesterday afternoon which was the Ladies' Tea at our church.  It was really a wonderful time and a great end to my busy week.  There were ten tables in all and each hostess decorated her table in any way she liked.  The result was stunning.  Very diverse, but reflective of each personality and interests.


 My table.  I was so excited to get to pull my china out of
my hope chest and actually use it!

Here are a few pictures of some of the other tables.  The ladies really did a wonderful job!



 All of the ladies really had a wonderful time fellowshipping and enjoying the
games, singing, and the guest speaker.

 And the food was excellent too!

So, now you know why the blog has been rather silent this week!  I'm looking forward to things calming down just a little bit.  But only a very little bit!  May is the busiest month of the year in our family.  I like to refer to it as "May Madness".  With five birthdays, Mother's Day, recitals, graduations, etc. things can get a little crazy around here, but we shall prevail!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment