Pages

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

sew french

I love french seams. Absolutely love them! They're just so perfect in every way! I even prefer them over serged seams because they look so much cleaner.

When I was a novice seamstress (or "sewist" as I've heard some people say) I used to stare at french seams wondering how in the world such perfection was attained. This, of course, was before I learned that the world will not stop turning if you take a seam ripper to a store-bought garment to see how they're put together. ***Gasp*** So, I had to try to figure things out from the outside, not an easy task if you aren't quite sure of yourself. Some of the things that I came up with were so far out there that I finally gave up all hope of learning how to make those perfectly perfect french seams.

It took many years and many many many projects to finally become comfortable with sewing and to learn how to do things like french seams without flipping out. Just like anything, sewing and garment structure takes a while to figure out so if you're just starting to play with that sewing machine you've had in the closet for ages, don't worry! It will get easier eventually!

French seams are a wonderful thing to use if you don't have a serger or even if you have one, but it is *ahem* temperamental. I don't recommend trying this on curved seams for a while. Just stick with straight seams until you get the hang of it.


How to Sew a French Seam

Note:  I don't use pins unless I absolutely have to because it takes so much time to put them in and take them out.  If you aren't comfortable going without pins, by all means, use them!

With wrong sides together (backwards, I know, but stick with me here!) Stitch seam at 1/2 your seam allowance.
       -I gave myself 1 inch seam allowance so my first seam was 1/2 inch from the edge. 
      

Trim away excess.  Be careful to not get to close to your seam!


Iron flat.



Now, put right sides together and iron.
        -Raw edge will be on the inside.


Now, with right sides together, stitch at 1/2 your seam allowance making a little pocket around your raw edge.
       -You have now used all of your seam allowance.


Iron flat.


On the wrong side, stitch down the edge of flap.


Now you have a perfect french seam with a nice finish on the wrong side.  No more raveling!


See how easy that was????

No comments:

Post a Comment