Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

southern speak :)

People tell me I have a thick accent.

Okay. :)

All I know is that my Yankee, Mid-Western, and Florida friends get a kick out of listening to me talk.  Once, I even had a guy from Jamaica spell out words just so he could hear how I would pronounce them!

I have recently been told by several people that my accent has a lot of Alabama in it.  I guess I get that from Daddy.  It also explains why people in my own home town think I talk funny.

It's fun having a naturally thick southern accent.  Because of it, I can say things that non-southerners just couldn't get away with.  Let's face it, bless your heart and I do declare! just don't work unless you've got the proper accent. 

Not only do we southerners have amazing speaking voices, we have our own vocabulary to go with it.

For instance:

"Clodhoppers" are working boots or big clomping shoes.
"Chunkin" something means to throw it.
"Fixin' to" means you're about to.
If you're "laid up", you're sick.
"Sorry" is something that is inferior in quality, or someone who is lazy.
A "poke" is a bag or sack.
If you're upset, your feathers have been ruffled.
If something is overflowing it's "chugged full".
If someone has been misled or hurt they're a "stuck pig".
If something is "cattywampus" it's crooked.
Everyone older than you is "older then dirt".
Asking for sugar means you're asking for a kiss.
If you look like someone, you're "a spittin' image".
Temper tantrums are "hissy fits".
Lights are "cut" on or off.

I could go on, but then, you get the idea.  And, in case you are wondering, yes, I do use each one of these on a daily basis!

On second thought, all of them except "poke" and "stuck pig".  I use those occasionally, but only when I know I'm around people who won't give me weird looks!

I just love the southern language. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment