Pages

Monday, September 26, 2011

happy fall, ya'll!


It's here!  My absolute favorite time of the year!  If allergies would permit me I would just pitch a tent and live outside in the lovely cool weather.  Of course, by cool I mean, high 70s to low 80s.  After weeks of enduring ridiculous amounts of humidity and 100 degree weather, even the 90s are a breath of fresh air.  It's amazing how much the weather can affect the mood.  I usually become something of a hermit throughout the summer months.  I detest hot weather, so I lose all motivation to do anything that involves going outside, even if it's just to get in the car, because it means that I'm going to get hot and sticky and extremely uncomfortable.  Yes, I know it's pathetic, but it's true.  Summer and I have a difficult relationship. 

And then, there's fall, or autumn, whichever you prefer to call it.  After a miserable, swealtering summer, fall breezes in, clears away some of the humidity, and refreshes the spirit.  Colors change into beautiful red and yellow hues.  Candles scented with holiday spices are placed on store shelves.  We suddenly remember things like apple cider and pumpkin spice lattes.  (Oh that sounds good!)  Fashion changes as we start layering on the clothes, shaking the dust from our sweaters, and pulling on those thick stockings.  We start decorating the house to give it a more festive and homie (or is it homy?) atmosphere.  At my house, we're already making Christmas lists.  I spent most of this morning browsing through store coupons trying to find the best deals on fabric, floral stems, etc.  We get excited about the holidays!

********

Anyway.  This weekend we were working in Chattanooga.  (For those of you who are wondering, yes, it is the Chattanooga from the song "Chattanooga Choo Choo", and yes, there is such a thing as the Chattanooga Choo Choo.)  It really was a great weekend.  Our cousin Heather came out and helped us on Saturday.  We really had a lot of fun with her.  She laughs at absolutely everything!  At one point we were all having a little competition to see who could get her to laugh the loudest.  It was a lot of fun. 

The past several years that we have worked this particular event there has either been a threat of rain, or it actually rained.  Being in a tent, makes rain, well, not fun.  Also, the crowd was reduced because people were afraid of being caught in it.  But this year, the weather was perfect.  (Of course it was!  It's fall!)  The people were coming in by the bus loads.  On Saturday, Sarah and I left the tent to go scout out some lunch and we were slightly terrified by the mob of people!  You couldn't even see the vendor's tents for the people.  Oh, and don't even think about walking against the crowd unless you want some kind of bodily harm to come to you!  It was craziness!  People think that all southerners are polite and friendly.  Not these people!  They all had the matador look that said, "I will plow you down if you get in my way."  I guess they were all hungry.

As a whole, the weekend was a success.  We had the trailer loaded by 8:30 and I was actually in bed at a decent hour!  Happiness!  Now I just have to finish chiseling all of the grease off my glasses...







No comments:

Post a Comment