Pages

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

parades, road trips, books, etc!

I've gotten a little behind on my posting so please bear with me!  I will attempt to make this as organized as possible.

This past Saturday was Cleveland's Chrismas parade and our church decided have a float in it this year.  Sarah and I got really excited about the idea since we had never participated in a parade.  Well, technically we have, but we don't count it for reasons known only to those who were present at the time.  Anyway, we had a really good time with some of the other church families.  Unfortunately, Mama and Daddy couldn't join us because of lingering sickness, but they did stop by to wave as we rushed down the street.





Mary and Joseph

 The "riders". :)
 Crowded????
 The candy hander-outers.
 By the end of the parade we were all exhaused.  Especially those of us who
were walking, I mean *ahem* running!

Sunday, we set out on a 28 hour road trip to South Georgia.  Several months ago Daddy sold our business trailer and has been looking for a bigger one.  In the meantime, we have 5 fryers and our entire set-up housed in the garage.  That's been interesting.  After much deliberation, Daddy finally decided on which trailer he wanted.  Then we found out that it would be a lot cheaper for us to pick up the trailer at the factory ourselves than to have it brought to us.  So, as usual, we turned business into a family outing. 

As we were trying to decide what to do to make the trip more interesting, we realized that we've never been to downtown Atlanta.  I've been to the outer parts of Atlanta several times and driven through it on the Interstate many times, but I've never seen downtown.  So, that's what we did.  We didn't have time to stop and walk around, but we drove through downtown.  I wanted to get a picture of the Varsity, but I didn't have my camera ready and there was no turning around in that traffic!


There was a huge mob in front of the Fox Theater.  I was to busy taking pictures to get a
good look at the marquis, but I think it was a production of the Nutcracker.
I must have been an interesting sight passing by, hanging out of the window of our huge suburban
with a death-grip on my Canon!

I can't wait to go back sometime when we have a chance to do some
real sightseeing.

We had a really had a good time, even though by most peoples standards we didn't really do anything.  But, I enjoy being  in the car with my family, as long as I'm allowed to take a nap at some point!  And of course, staying in a hotel is interesting in this family!  We went to 5 different ones checking prices before we finally settled on one and then we got all of our stuff inside and realized that it wasn't as clean as we thought it was.  So, we packed our stuff back into the truck and drove around some more before we finally found a place to sleep.  This was about an hour long ordeal.  And then of course, there was the adventure involving the room heating unit and the smoke alarm....

Never a dull moment in this family folks!

Aside from entertainment, this trip gave me the opportunity to catch up on some reading.  I've been working
on The Deadliest Monster by J. F. Baldwin this week.  I have approximately 73 pages left and I can't wait to get through them.  If you are looking to a good introduction to worldview I would highly recommend this book. 

It uses Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde vs. Frankenstein to clearly show the difference between the Christian and secular worldviews.  Christians are, in a sense, Dr. Jekyll: we believe that all men are naturally wicked and sinful and there is no good in him except that which is given by the Father through salvation in Christ.  Man has no power to save himself.  And if he toys with his sin, it will ultimately be his death

Baldwin compares non-Christian worldviews (ranging from atheists to Jehovah's Witness) to Frankenstein and the belief that man is born good with no concept of sin.  However, his environment and associations taint this "goodness", therefore teaching him to be wicked.  This worldview teaches that man can save himself from judgement nullifying the need for salvation outside of himself.  Namely, Jesus Christ.

I've had this book for years, but for some reason I never took the time to read it.  I'm so glad I did!  It's a wonderful source for those who wish to understand all of the implications of the biblical view of the nature of man.  It's been an eye opening read and I look forward to reading others of a similar nature. 

I have a whole list of other books to read that just keeps getting longer by the day. 

This is just a little piece of it (the whole thing is roughly 9 pages long!) and as you can see, the books that I want to buy and read (italicized/blue) vs. the books I actually own and have read (underlined)... well... let's just say, there's a lot of blue on there!  If only money grew on trees...

No comments:

Post a Comment