Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

a hook and some string


"Myra Gillis had 37 doilies when she got married, and
 I'm determined to have AT LEAST as many as she had."

  ~Diana Barry - Anne of Avonlea~

I love doilies. I always have. In fact, Mama and I used to snatch them up whenever we found them at antique stores or yard sales. They get dingy and stained over the years, but we still have enough nice ones to keep at least one in each room.
 
 
When I was about 13, I decided that I was going to make my own doilies for my hope chest. After all, one simply cannot keep house without them! ;) It was hard to grasp at first. Using those hooks that are so tiny that you're not even sure that there really is a hook on the end of them take a while to get used to. But, once I mastered the hook and the art of reading the instructions (most of mine are from the 40's and 50's and therefore, rather cryptic) I was hooked. No pun intended.
 
 
When it comes to handiwork, I find doilies the most rewarding. It can be frustrating when you're in the middle of it, but the finished product is always worth it. It's like making lace - elegant and refined. I just love it! Each time I finish one, I just sit back and stare at it for a while. I showed one to my dad last night and all he could say was, "That's amazing". Ok, maybe that's a little over the top, but it is hard to

Unfortunately, this also means that making doilies is addictive. So, to all of my fellow crocheters, a word of warning: Do not attempt doilies unless you are prepared to make many, many, many of them! Also, don't start with a pattern that is really fancy, especially if it has a huge ruffle or several motifs that are joined in the middle. Find one that is small, simple, and works in a round to start with and then you can move on to the more showy patterns once you've got the hang of it. I tried it the other way around and do not recommend it.
 
 
Now, I must be off to sift through my ginormous pile of doily patterns to select my next project!

What are you working on today?  I'd love to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment