Pages

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

on a rainy day...

I'm sitting at my sewing table listening to the rain pounding on the roof.  I just love rainy days.  That is, I love watching rainy days through a window.  The gray sky, the dim light, the soothing pitter patter, and on cold winter days a fire and a cup of tea.  Love it!  However, getting out in the rain is a completely different story.  I don't like getting wet.  I don't even like going swimming these days.  But, it always happens that God sends the rain on the days that I'm out the most.  I suppose He sees it as character building.  I've already dried out once from going out this morning.  Now, I am psyching myself to brave the vicious precipitation for a piano lesson later. 

*********

This past weekend we were in the small town of Athens, TN at the Pumpkin Town festival.  I grew up just north of there in the even smaller town of Sweetwater, so, it was kind of like going home.  We saw a lot of people that we hadn't seen in quite a few years.  One gentleman was a member of the little church my dad pastored when I was little.  We hadn't seen him in about 15 years.  Others we saw were members of our old homeschool group and other people that we don't see much of since we moved to Cleveland.

Jennifer, one of my oldest and very best friends, stopped by to see us.  I don't get to see as much of her as I would like, so it was a real treat for her to come.  She and her family just got back from Ghana a few weeks ago.  They were there visiting their new brother, Nicholas.  I can't wait to meet him when they are finally able to bring him home.

Oh Jen, we've been through so much together!  I think she knows just about everything about me that there is to know.  That's kind of a scary thing now that I actually think about it! 

We've been best friends since we were about 7 years old.  We met when we were both on the homeschool basketball team.  Yeah, you read that right.  A group of homeschooled 6 to 9 year olds on an actual basketball team.  It was just as scary as it sounds!  But we survived!  Maybe a little scarred from the experience, but we survived!

I love you Jen!




**********

Before we got busy, I had a chance to walk around the block and see what was going on.  Upon turning a corner, what should I see, but a big banner that read "Creation Museum".  I was sooooo excited!  I've always heard about the Creation Museum, but I've never been.  My family has only been north of Knoxville three times that I can remember, so we've never really had the opportunity. 

The gentleman running the booth was very friendly.  We talked way longer that I intended to.  It was so nice to discuss my beliefs with someone who understands.  So many times I feel as if I'm being judged when I voice my beliefs.  His conversation was really a breath of fresh air!

He gave me this book: Already Gone, by Ken Ham and Britt Beemer.  I've been wanting to read this book ever since I first saw it in a catalog, but my book budget kept interferring.  I'm already about a third of the way through it and I have to say that it is one of the best books I've ever picked up.  Every professing Christian should read this book.  It is a definate eye opener concerning issues that many of us have chosen to turn a blind eye to.  It is truly a must for every Christian library.

**********

In my spare time, I've been tying up some loose ends in the sewing room.  Here's a little project that I started several months ago and then forgot about.  It's a large bag made from some of my Thimbleberries scraps.  I finished it last night with the assistance of Misses Elinor and Marianne Dashwood. :)

Genevieve was kind enough to model the finished product for the camera.

I got to use it for the first time this morning to carry my books with me to a class I've been taking.  It carried quite nicely I thought.

Here's a picture of the burgandy afghan I've been working on for the last few months.  I was commissioned by my aunt to make this after complaining of boredom back in the days of my nannyhood.  I've finally reached the home stretch in this project.  It's been one of the easiest crochet projects I've ever undertaken.  Easy, as far as the pattern, that is.  Making an afghan is still an arduous task no matter how easy it is.  I've never actually finished one.  I started one many years ago and ended up turning it into a scarf.  Mama is a really big fan of this one.  I think she might be planning to take possession of it herself!

**********

Wow, this has been a really random post.  Sorry about that!  My mind is about as random as they get.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment