Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

studying history...

Recently, Mama decided to forego history textbooks for Sarah and create her own curriculum so that she could spend more time studying specific areas of interest.  Translated into stay-at-home homeschool graduate language, this means that I am now responsible for creating this personalized curriculum.  Not that I mind.  I absolutely love history.  It's just that the task itself is a little daunting, not to mention time consuming! 

The subject matter is the Civil War or, depending on where you're from, the War of Northern Aggression. ;)  It's amazing to me how few people actually know what caused the war.  Most would reply slavery.  And while that was a factor, did you know that more than 80% of the Southern army were not slaveholders, nor did they have any interest in the institution? 


Although, the urge to get on my little "historical soap-box" is very tempting, I will refrain.  However, it is a subject definately worth studying.  I continue to learn new things every day.  I just hope that I can articulate it to Sarah!

So here I sit, perched on the couch in the midst of books, pages of notes scribbled in my dreadful left-handed script, a list of websites and databases, compiling the information I find while trying to block out the strange conversations coming from the kitchen.  (Cleaning out the refrigerator always produces interesting conversations and exclamations, but when the persons participating happen to be Mama and Grammy...let's just say the line between interesting and strange becomes slightly blurred!)

No comments:

Post a Comment