Pages

Monday, March 26, 2012

kindle vs. the real deal


If you read the title of this post you have probably already guessed which side that I have taken in this argument.  Don't worry, I have no intentions of being a snob or belittling the wonderful world of technology and those who revel in it, I simply wish to explain my stance on the subject. 

Every time I have been forced to participate in this argument, I have found that the results are very similar to those that come about after a heated discussion about the film The Princess Bride:  You either love it or you hate it and not even a stampede of wild elephants will cause you to change your mind.  Don't laugh, you know it's true!!! 

While, I have never had a reason to actually dislike a Kindle or any other e-reader (I had never even held one in my hands until this weekend), I have always had a rather strong opinion on the subject.  However, this opinion has nothing to do with the Kindle itself.  I just have reasons why I personally don't want one.

I have trouble reading off a screen. 

It's true.  It doesn't matter if it's on a 60 inch plasma screen, it gives me a headache if I stay at it for a certain period of time.  Even with my new glasses, I just can't seem to stay at it for very long.  In addition to the headaches, I also can't seem to comprehend what I'm reading.  I see words and my eyes scan the screen, but I have to work very hard to focus so the words actually register.  Because of this, it takes me ten times longer to read off a screen rather than paper because I have to read and re-read and re-read small paragraphs until I finally "get it".  I even have to write my blog posts in short intervals.

There is just something special about holding a book in my hands.


Ever since I was a little girl, books have been some of my best friends.  If you could see my bedroom you would see that I am constantly surrounded by many, many friends.  I even take them places with me (which is why I carry such large bags).  Each one hold special memories for me and each has impacted me in a different and equally special way.

The other day, I took down my well worn copy of A Little Princess.  Just running my hand over the cover made my heart smile.  That small little book holds so many precious memories.  I remember sitting in Mama's lap as she read it to me, eagerly waiting for her to turn the pages and find out what would happen next.  As I got older, I remember carrying it a little basket down to the big oak tree by the barn.  I would sit there, beneath the constant downpour of acorns, and read for hours.   Suddenly, I became Sara Crewe, forced to live in the cold attic, mistreated and hungry.  Hot indignation would rise in my chest as Miss Minchin (whose first name just happened to be Amanda...) unjustly punished and humiliated Sara before the other girls.  But then, it was always replaced by a peaceful triumph as Sara repaid evil with good.  Just looking at the cover of this beloved book causes all of these memories and feelings to come rushing back.  Somehow, looking at a chunk of black or white plastic just doesn't have the same effect...

Some of my books have pages that have been stained with tears and some have flowers pressed in the pages.  There are some whose pages are brown and crackly around the edges.  This is because they had the misfortune of being in the direct path of one of my many coffee spills.  Sometimes I come across a book that has pages falling out of it or one that has lost it's cover.  It doesn't matter.  I love them despite their defects.

Why?  Because they are my friends.  They have sparked thoughts and emotions in my heart and I can hold them in my hands and treasure them as long as I live.  One day they will be in the hands of my children and grandchildren and in a way, they will be holding a piece of me.

On the other hand, an e-reader will one day be useless.  Like my papaw's eight track player or those giant "mobile phones" that mom used to carry.  Sure, they're still tucked away in the garage, but do they work or serve any purpose whatsoever?  Aside from making us kids laugh at their "Dark Age" technology, no.

I love the smell of books.

You know, that musty, earthy, book-y smell that smacks you in the face whenever you walk into a library.  I love it.  The smell of an e-reader when it gets overheated just isn't the same...

I love looking at books.


Isn't that just beautiful?


One of the arguments I've heard in favor of the Kindle is that "you can take a thousand books on a trip with you". 

My automatic response is, "Why in the world would you want or even need a thousand books on a trip?  No flight or road trip is that long.  Besides, you would need an approximately ten year vacation to get through them all.  That is, of course, assuming that you are an expert speed reader".

All sarcasm aside, I do think that it's cool to be able to carry around a library.  If you ever needed to look something up, it's right there at your fingertips.  Or if you were having a conversation with someone and wanted to quote a passage from a book, you could simply pull it up and read it rather than trying to remember it.  But personally, I'd rather take three or four books with me and come home to a beautiful library like the one in the picture above.  Of course, I don't have an in-home library as of yet, but one day...

I understand that many people absolutely love their Kindles and other e-readers and I respect that.  I also realize that in some instances, they can be very useful.  For all I know, I may even have one sometime in the future (the very distant, unforeseeable future).  But for now, my personal preference is printed, hard/paper backed, fragrant, taking up space that I don't have, real books.


3 comments:

  1. Hey, Amanda! I understand what you mean by books are your friends. I love having books to hold and keep and be able to pass them on to my kid. I still have a bunch from when I was a kid and now he is reading those now.

    However, I have a Kindle as well. Now my Kindle has come in handy in that I read so many fiction books that I used to buy in paperback. I couldn't bear to throw away a book or give it away even though I would probably never read it again. Those are mostly romance novels. They ended up being in bags and boxes and shelves and taking up way too much space in my house. So the Kindle comes in really useful for that sort of book. If it's a book I want to keep and read again or pass on then I buy the real book and put it on my shelf. It helps with the clutter issue for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tanya! I can relate to how you feel about getting rid of books. Even if it's one that I'm not particularly fond of, I have a hard time letting go of it. Of course, I can probably attribute this to being something of a pack rat!

      As I said, I will probably end up owning a Kindle one of these days. It just takes me longer to get used to the idea of tech-y stuff than most people!

      Another problem I have, as I said, is my eyesight. Unfortunately, this is a problem that I'm stuck with. So, until God works a miracle or they make a screen that I can read off of with ease, I'll be sticking to printed paper and dealing with the clutter as best I can!

      Delete
  2. It doesn't matter for me the way I read a book, as long as I'm enjoying the experience. However, when I travel I love to read my eBooks downloaded from All you can books on my Kindle Fire, which I recently bought. I can have so many books and do anything else on it. It's great that devices like these are invented :D

    ReplyDelete