Pages

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

a little side dish

When it comes to food, I'll eat just about anything.  The only exceptions that I've come across so far are sushi, eggplants, and beets.  My mom once made beets when I was about 8 years old.  It was a rule that I had to eat two bites of them whether they appealled to me or not.  After eyeing the smelly, dark, jelly-ish looking stuff, I cautiously took a tiny bite.  My stomach promptly returned the morsel to my plate and Mama's never made them since.

Aside from these items, I am easy to please.  I love Italian food, Mexican food, French food, Chinese food, American food (aside from hot dogs, burgers and fries what exactly is American food?), I love it all.  I am also one of those annoying people that is constantly adding something spicy to whatever I'm cooking.  Oh yes, cayenne, spicy mustard, peppers...you name it, I have probably thrown it in at some point.  Just give me a tall glass of water for a chaser and I'm set.

I can handle just about anything.  Within reason of course.  I'm not the type person who drinks hot sauce straight from the bottle nor do I aspire to be.  But my spicy limit is definately higher than the rest of my family.  They finally drew the line when I brought out the horseradish.

Ok.  We've established the fact that I like foods with a big kick to them, but I like the ones with little kicks too! 

Occasionally, I'll surf through the endless resources for recipes on the Internet and jot down some that I think the family will like.  We're always needing new side dishes to go with dinner, so that's usually what I try to find.  Several years ago, I ran across a recipe for potatoes.  I can't remember where it came from, but in all probability it was allrecipes.com.  At first I was a little hesitant to use it because after viewing the ingredients I wasn't sure how it would go over.  It sat in a drawer for a couple of months before I finally decided to give it a try.  To my pleasant suprise, everyone loved them!  Sarah has been begging me to make them for a week and I finally got around to it today, so I thought I'd share it with you.


Deviled Roasted Potatoes

Whisk together:
       2 Tbsp. olive oil
       2 Tbsp. dry mustard (prepared mustard works just as well)
       1 Tbsp. white vinegar
       2 tsp. kosher salt
       1/2 tsp. dried dill weed
       1/4 tsp. cayenne
       1/4 tsp. black pepper


Coat mixture on to 1 pound of cubed red potatoes.

Line a baking sheet with foil and coat with a nonstick spray.  Place coated potatoes in a single layer on prepared pan and roast in a 450 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until tender.  (I had to cook them a bit longer today because I didn't cut my potatoes small enough.)

Don't they look delicious?  Trust me, they are!  All potato dishes seem to end up tasting the same, but these have just enough bite to them to make them stand out.  Don't just take my word for it.  Try them sometime!

No comments:

Post a Comment