Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

odds and ends


So here's what I've been working on in my spare time.  Isn't it adorable????  My older sister, Kim, asked me to make this for her youngest daughter.  I'm looking forward to seeing a picture of her wearing it.  It certainly fits Lexi's personality!  Total girly girl! ;)  I must admit that working with polka-dots and big bows was a lot of fun.  I don't usually work with such bold fabrics so this was a fun adventure for me.

Below is the pattern I used.  Kim actually picked it out (with Lexi's help of course!).  I haven't followed a pattern in a long time.  Over the years I've learned how to draft my own, so I had to relearn how to read manufactured instructions.  I'd forgotten how confusing they can be.  Why does everything have to be so complicated?



















Here's another project.  For SONP, I realized I needed a skirt to work in that I wouldn't have to worry about getting stained or snagged.  I dug this old pair of work jeans out of my closet.  They were worn out and had holes in the legs.  I'd seen where people had turned jeans into skirts, and quite honestly, I wasn't impressed by most of them.  Occasionally, I would run across one that I liked, but I was still afraid that I would try it and not like the result.  I'm glad I changed my mind.  Not only is this skirt functional, it's extremely comfortable. 

It was suprisingly easy to make.  You simply cut the legs off at the length you want the skirt, slit the inseams, and fill in the gaps with the removed portion of the pants leg.  You can see that the back of the skirt hangs down a bit lower than the front.  This concerned me a bit at first, but when I tried it on I found that I really liked the effect.  Besides, it's just a work skirt, right?  That's also why I decided not to hem it.  That, and I'm lazy...haha!
I absolutely love it.  It's nice to go out into the garden and not worry about getting dirt all over a skirt that I really like.  It's also a great painting skirt.  I make a huge mess!

*********

Here's some pictures I thought I'd share.  Some of these are from earlier this year.

 Mama's roses.


 Homegrown salads are the best.

 Small beginnings.

 I just had to throw this one in here.  This is Gabriel, a.k.a. "Sheriff John".  Isn't he adorable?




Chick chick!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment