Pages

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

creamy onions


This family loves onions.  We put onion in and on about 95% of everything that we put on the table.  SOME of us (I won't name any names...) even eat them by themselves.  Raw.  I have to be might desperate for an onion to do that...

Several years ago...ok, a really long time ago I found a recipe for this nice onion side dish.  It's been so long that I haven't a clue where it came from, but everyone really likes it so I thought I'd share the yumminess. :)


Steam 2 lbs of peeled and quartered onions until tender.  About 25-35 minutes.

Sauce:

   1/4 cup butter
   1/3 cup flour

      -Whisk over moderate heat; cook and stir while it bubbles.  About 1 minute.

       Remove from heat and add:

   1 cup chicken broth
   1 cup milk
   1/4 tsp. paprika
   1/8 tsp. salt
   1/8 tsp. pepper

       -Whisk until smooth then return to heat.  Stir constantly until thick.

         Blend in:

   3 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese
   1/4 cup fresh minced parsley

Combine in casserole dish.  Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment