Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

what happens when I can't sleep

What do you do when you can't sleep?  Read a book, watch TV, pace back and forth trying to remind yourself how exhausted you are? 

I've done all of the above, and more.  However, lately I've just stuck to tossing and turning, because getting up and doing something never seems to make going to sleep any easier.

This is what happened to me last night.  It had been a hard day, and aside from the 20 minute nap I managed to squeeze in yesterday afternoon, there was absolutely no reason why I shouldn't go to sleep. 

Of course, no reason except for one teeny tiny little thing.

My brain wouldn't shut-up.

I kept telling myself how tired I was, but my brain has a mind of it's own.  One brilliant idea after another started popping into my head.  This started a heated argument between my common sense and my brain.

"You know, you really need to get up and write this stuff down so you won't forget it."

"No, I need to go to sleep!"

"But these are really great ideas.  It would be a shame not to remember them in the morning."

"I have an impeccable memory, thank you very much!  Well, sometimes..."

This went on for about 2 hours.

Then, something dreadful happened - something that was absolutely detrimental to my earnest desire for sleep.  My brain began to taunt me.

"Well, you probably couldn't do that anyway.  You know, you've never tried it and it would be a shame start something like that only to throw it away."

That was it. I ripped the covers off, donned my robe and slippers and went into the cold sewing room.  I turned on the lights and once I could actually see, I pulled out a blank canvas and started sketching furiously.  Ten minutes later I was setting up my easel, selecting brushes and making a mess with paints.



Then, I turned on Ol' Blue Eyes and set to work.  (It always helps to have good music!)

It was late, and I decided that I was going to paint as fast and a furiously as I could until I was finished and then I was going to bed. 

I was in the mood for happy colors, so I toned down some crimson and bright yellow and slapped it on.


I ended up finger painting most of it.  Who says finger painting is just for kindergartners?



I just love happy colors!



So, 2 1/2 hours after I started, this is what I had come up with.  There's a bit of a glare in the picture.  The skin tone is actually a little bit darker than what you see here.

And guess what?  I actually like it!  I didn't think I would.  I've never done a painting off the top of my head before, I've always copied photos.  Also, I've never done a person before.  I've drawn them (it's not fun...) but adding color is not as easy as it sounds.

So, after proving to myself that I could indeed render my idea onto a canvas and like it, I went to bed.  Of course, it took me another hour to go to sleep, but at least I went to sleep, right?
  

No comments:

Post a Comment