Pages

Thursday, October 11, 2012

it's official

Fall is here.

Okay, it's been here for a while now, but we now have chilly temperatures here in the Tennessee Valley and we finally got the fall decorations put up around the house.  That makes it official!


We have two festivals down and two more to go this month.  Needless to say, it's a bit crazy around here.  We've got monstrous loads of dishes to wash after every weekend, a trailer to unload and reload, set up, tear down, not to mention the normal stuff: house cleaning, cooking for 5 sometimes 8 people (I never seem to know anymore...), making sure that the laundry gets taken down instead of compacted into the hamper, keeping up with my reading, the weekly shopping, Christmas planning (some presents are already a work in progress.  It's killing me not being able to share!), keeping up with phone calls, emails, and events (with the election closing in, there seems to be something going on all the time.), etc., etc., etc. 

It looks more exhausting all typed out than in reality...


Awkward

- Sitting in a pediatrician's waiting room and suddenly realizing that everyone - the way cool high school dudes, little kids, teenage girls, moms, dads, grandparents - are all staring intently and open-mouthed at the television which is showing a Disney princess movie. 

-  Attending a political debate and having a gentleman come up to you and ask, "So, why are you here?"  Once I recovered from the rather strange question, I told him why I was there.  He obviously wasn't pleased because without uttering another word, he promptly turned around and strode over to the other side of the room.

- Working on the counter at the fair and having a lady come up and say, "I want a funnel cake with sugar on only one half of it, a ribbon fry, two...no...three teas, one sweet, one un-sweet, and one half and half, no ice in the un-sweet, two cokes and a water."  I just stood there with my mouth hanging open like an idiot, trying frantically to do the math in my head.  I had to ask her to repeat it slowly two more times before I got it right.

-Trying to carry 4 gallon sized buckets of mustard through Walmart because your mother ran off with the buggy and left you.



Awesome

- Being able to wow your little sister.  Earlier this morning, I was sitting in the living room and I could hear Sarah tapping her pencil rhythmically on the kitchen table.  After a while of listening to it, I said, "Sarah, stop it.  It's too early for Jingle Bells."  There was a few moments of silence, then I heard, "How'd you know that's what I was doing?  I didn't even know that's what I was doing!"  *sigh... I'm just that good. ;)

-  Going to the "big city" (otherwise known as Knoxville) and gaping out the window at the strange city folk and buildings.  It was on this trip that we noticed that there are seriously three or four of the same fast food chain per square mile.  Sarah kept saying, "Is all of this really necessary?"  It's fun to look at, but boy was I glad to get home.  Driving through Knoxville is a bit too stressful, even when you have a GPS.

- Finding a pair of suede mustard-colored flats for $3.  Oh yeah!

-  Waking up to find out that your wonderfully awesome mother baked blueberry-lemon muffins for breakfast.  I've got the best-est mama!

-  Seeing another random skirt-wearing family out and about and striking up a conversation with, "Hey, I really like your skirt" which leads into gabbing about clothes, where I bought such and such, sales, thrift stores, etc.  Such fun!


So, what's been going on with ya'll? 

No comments:

Post a Comment